As many of you are well aware, Dr Ajaka of the Cosmos Aesthetics was bestowed with the honour of being the only doctor outside of North America to be on the recognised and respected Sharecare Panel of Doctors.
For those who don’t know much about the Panel or Dr Oz, Oz has been a professor at the Department of Surgery at Columbia University since 2001. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and Complementary Medicine Program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital as well as undertaking groundbreaking research in heart replacement surgery, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, and health care policy. With his collaborators, he has authored over 400 research papers, book chapters, and medical books and has received several patents. He performs around 250 heart operations annually.
Given his profile, Dr Oz appeared numerous times on the Oprah Winfrey Show as well as Good Morning America, the Today Show and other well-known television events. Currently, Dr Oz has his own television shown, known as The Dr Oz Show, which is one of the most watched medical shows in America.
While in New York in September 2012, Dr Ajaka met with Dr Oz to discuss the latest medical trends coming from the USA. The interview went for an hour in which many interesting matters were discussed including:
Effective supplements that assist in keeping weight down: Dr Oz recommends different supplements depending on why someone is finding it difficult to keep weight down. Below is a summary of a number of various supplements he recommends:
- 7-Keto: this is suitable for people that are gaining weight due to a slowing metabolism. 7-Keto is a natural by-product of the DHEA hormone in the human body that helps to keep us young. But as we age, the levels of DHEA drop, this begins to happen after you turn 30, slowing your metabolism and resulting in weight gain. 7-Keto works to counter this by stimulating the thyroid to permanently raise your resting metabolic rate, which is based on your body’s amount of fat and muscle. A lower metabolism means more fat, and a higher metabolism means more muscle. Once 7-Keto raises your metabolic set point, your body can begin burning fat faster, resulting in less weight gain and a trimmer belly. Obviously the results of this supplement are greatly enhanced when combined with diet and exercise, which is a must for a healthy diet.
- Forskolin: helps promote the breakdown of stored fat cells. It may also release fatty acids from adipose tissue, which results in increased thermo genesis, resulting in loss of body fat and, theoretically, increased lean body mass.
- Caraway Seeds: is a good supplement for those who suffer from bloating. Bloating occurs when bad bacteria release gas in your intestine. Caraway seeds inhibit the growth of those bad bacteria and allow good bacteria to digest food. Rich in vitamins and minerals, caraway seeds are a powerful digestive aid that helps eliminate gas, thanks to its carminative properties, which prevent the formation of gas or aid in the expulsion of gas.
- Relora: Stressed? Finding that you’re gaining weight when you are stressed? This is a common occurrence for many humans as when your under stress, your body releases the hormone cortisol, which makes your body store fat around your midsection. Relora can help tackle stubborn belly fat. Studies have shown that Relora can help mitigate feelings of anxiety. Decreased levels of cortisol can lead to the prevention of weight gain, the loss of excess weight, and the reduction of stress eating.
Obviously, without a healthy lifestyle including exercise and eating healthy, a supplement can only do so much!
What anti ageing supplements does Dr Oz use to stay looking young:
- Omega 3! One that we here about all the time, however Omega-3 fats help to normalize skin lipids and prevent dehydration in the cells. This keeps skin cells strong and full of moisture, which can help to decrease the appearance of fine lines. By taking fish oil tablets on a regular basis you will ensure this is an easy process to follow!
- Royal Jelly: extracted from the bumblebee, royal jelly is packed with antioxidants, minerals and proteins. This nutrient has been studied for its qualities in protecting the skin from the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun. Royal jelly, with its abundant nutrient content, helps protect the skin from this harmful radiation. Collagen can be stimulated to grow and abnormal colouring of the skin prevented.
What foods should we eat to help slow the ageing process?
- You will be glad to know there a number of different and very tasteful foods that help our ageing process including Kiwi fruit, eggplant, red chilli peppers, pomegranate and lentils.
With life becoming so busy, how does one find time to exercise?
- Dr Oz strictly follows what he calls the Dr Oz 7 minute work out. How is it effective you may say? A valid question! Importantly Dr Oz’s workout focuses on the bodies most important needs during a workout including breathing, balance, strength, and stretching. Watch the video link below, you will quickly realise how much you can fit into just 7 minutes. At Cosmos, all out staff are encouraged to do the exercise when they first wake up in the morning. It’s a great and quick way to start your day!
We look forward to airing the interview in coming weeks!