Acne Scar Treatment – Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide & Gold Coast
Reduce Acne Scars with the latest treatments at Cosmos Clinic
Acne scars occur because of abnormal collagen production during healing. Teenage acne is a major cause for many adults being left with unsightly acne scars, even after the active acne has been successfully treated. Acne scarring can be very hard to treat, but the appearance of acne scars can be vastly improved when combining treatments that are aimed at the formation of new collagen production.
Quick facts about Acne Scar Treatments?
- Acne scars are formed by abnormal collagen production.
- Acne scars can be difficult to treat but vast improvements can be made with a multi-modal approach.
- Fractional laser, skin needling + platelet rich plasma can induce new collagen formation over 3-6 months. Downtime is 1-4 days and 1-3 sessions may be required.
- For more instant improvement dermal fillers can be a great option with little to no downtime. Dermal fillers can last 1-2 years.
- Severe acne will require fractional laser with PRP and dermal fillers while mild-moderate acne will require skin needling with PRP and/or dermal fillers.
What Acne Scar Treatments are available?
The best treatment for acne scars depends on individual factors and at Cosmos Clinic we can combine the following options to give you the best possible outcome:
Fractional Lasers such as the profractional laser, are extremely effective for treating acne scars. It is the best option for patients with severe acne, who don’t have dark or asian skin and have 3-5 days downtime.It treats a “fraction” of the skin by creating thousands of tiny perforations, whilst leaving undamaged skin intact. These undamaged cells move into the “damaged area”, and heal the wounded area. The injury to the damaged skin causes collagen stimulation. Further collagen remodelling takes place for 3-6 months and the number of treatments will depend on the severity of the acne scars, but usually 1-3 treatments are required with the profractional laser when combined with PRP. Fewer treatments are required with the Sciton Laser because it uses a longer wavelength of light and therefore penetrates the skin deeper than other lasers such as fraxel. Please see the video below for more details on the laser treatment.
In patients who want less down time skin needling using the Dermapen may be a better option. It is the best treatment option for patients with mild-moderate acne who want 1-2 days downtime, or dark skin/Asian patients with severe acne.This treatment option is suitable for very dark and Asian skins as the risk of hyper pigmentation caused by laser heat energy is removed. The Dermapen stimulates collagen by causing a mechanical injury to the skin. The newly formed collagen improves the appearance of the acne scar. When skin needling is performed in combination with PRP it results in an accelerated improvement of the scar.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is blood plasma that contains a high concentration of platelets which activate collagen production in the skin. New collagen production improves the acne scar appearance. Platelets are a specialised cell involved in injury healing and cell regeneration that contain your own natural growth factors and stem cells. For full skin rejuvenation the optimal concentration of plasma is 6 to 8 times the amount found in your blood. Cosmos Clinic utilises the cutting edge Harvest® Technologies PRP System, which yields 8 times the amount of plasma found naturally in blood. This treatment can be used alone to treat acne scarring or in conjunction with the Fractional Laser or Skin Needling.
Dermal Fillers/ Dermal Stimulators
To further induce collagen formation and to fill the hollows created by acne scars a Dermal Filler/Dermal Stimulator can be used. These products fill the pockets created by acne scars when they are injected into the hollow areas. Dermal fillers will last 1-2 years but the formation of new collagen will leave a permanent improvement after the filler is gone. The advantage of dermal fillers is that they give you an instant result. The other treatment options take 3-12 months for the full result.
A needle is placed under the scar to cause the scar to be released allowing the production of new collagen to improve the appearance.
What results can I expect?
Severe acne scarring is difficult to treat however with a multi-modal approach vast improvements can be made. We suggest a combination of fractional laser, PRP and dermal fillers/stimulator for severe acne.
Mild-moderate acne can be addressed with skin needling and PRP.
New collagen production can take up to 3-6 months for the full results, so expect a gradual improvement in acne scarring over 3-6 months. Dermal fillers will give you a more instant result while waiting for the full effects of new collagen production.
What is the level of discomfort for these acne scar treatments?
- Fractional Laser: A topical anaesthetic is applied to maintain your comfort and cool compresses can be used after the treatment.
- Skin Needling: A topical anaesthetic is applied and you may feel a very mild prickling sensation
- PRP: This treatment is very similar to a blood test and you may experience a mild prick sensation.
- Dermal Filler/ Dermal Stimulator: These options have very minimal discomfort, you may feel a small pricking in the area.
What is the downtime for acne scar treatment?
You will need 3-5 days downtime when you have the fractional laser with PRP depending on depth of the treatment. Little to no downtime is required for the PRP treatment, dermal fillers/stimulators or subcisions.
What is an estimate cost of treatment options?
- Fractional Laser: The price can range from $700 to $1,200 depending on the size of the area to be treated.
- Skin Needling: $400 – $600 without PRP or $600 – $800 when combined with PRP.
- PRP: $400 – $600 depending on the size of the area.
- Dermal Filler/Dermal Stimulator: Depending on the depth and severity of the scars the price can range from $350 to $850.
Are there any possible complications?
As with any treatment there are risks and we recommend you discuss any questions or concerns you may have in your consultation. Darker skin types may need to use Advantan Cream to suppress pigment cells before the treatment to avoid discolouration of their skin.
How do I know which treatment is best for me?
To get a more accurate idea of which treatment or treatment combination will work best for you a consultation is recommended. In the consultation you can discuss your treatment options, the results you can achieve and an exact costing. The cost of a consultation is $120 and is fully redeemable back when you have a treatment.
Acne Scar Treatment Locations
Your initial Acne Scar Treatment consultation can be undertaken at one of our cosmetic clinics in Double Bay – Sydney, Deakin – Canberra or North Adelaide – Adelaide.