Are you having a hard time deciding between the variety of fat removal surgery options for your needs?
You’ll agree that these points are the major deciders in helping you make a choice:
- How expensive is the surgery?
- How painful is the surgery?
- Is the surgery risky and dangerous?
- Are the results worth my time and money?
- Can I trust my doctor?
These are just some of the questions that patients usually ask themselves before committing to a procedure and they are perfectly normal.
In this article today, we’re going to cover several key points to help you determine the best procedure for your needs based on these aspects:
- Invasive, minimally invasive, and non-surgical procedures
- The average costs of fat removal procedures
- The average time taken for recovery as well as results
- Fat removal surgery options
Invasive, minimally invasive, and non-surgical procedures
Surgery options are usually divided into three classes or types:
- Minimally invasive
Invasive in plastic surgery terms means that procedures will be carried out by utilising large cuts and huge incisions on the area to be treated. The best known example is a tummy tuck or an abdominoplasty.
The name itself sounds menacing; invasive procedures have been widely shunned by doctors worldwide due to the risks that it imposes to patients.
These are just some of the disadvantages of invasive surgeries:
- Very painful and stressful to patients. Large cuts and incisions are very taxing to the human body; they can also lead to situations where patients are traumatised due to the nature of the surgery
- Very risky and dangerous. As we’ve mentioned earlier, massive surgeries will take a toll on the human body. Invasive procedures also increase the likelihood of risky complications, which is never a good thing.
- Takes a long time to recover. Large cuts will always have considerably longer recovery periods in comparison to modern procedures. This will affect your daily routine and your emotional state due to the long periods of recovery.
- Higher risk of infections. Due to large cuts and incisions, improper care of the treated area post-surgery may lead to infections which is a very risky issue.
It is not a coincidence that almost every cosmetic surgery provider in modern times only performs minimally invasive and non-surgical procedures.
Minimally invasive surgeries
Unlike its counterpart, minimally invasive means that the procedure will only be performed with tiny cuts and incisions.
Often times, the cuts are so fine that you won’t even notice them at first sight.
In addition to that, minimally invasive procedures have several distinctive advantages which make them the preferred choice for doctors today.
Here are a few of them:
- Minimal discomfort and pain. The biggest and most striking advantage of minimally invasive surgeries is that patients virtually feel no pain during the procedure. Often times, anaesthesia is only applied on the area to be treated rather than being put to sleep altogether.
- Fast recovery times. Due to the fact no large cuts are present, patients recover faster which is always a good thing. This means that patients can resume their daily life as soon as possible – something that is very important according to many patients.
- Minimal scarring and bruising. You do not have to worry about the tissues in your body being affected by minimally invasive procedures. They will not be significantly damaged which leads to very little bruising.
- Low risk of infections. As the incisions are small, there will be less exposed areas which mean that the chances of patients contracting infections are considerably lower as compared to invasive surgeries.
With medical procedures becoming increasingly modernised thanks to advances in the cosmetic surgery industry, mnimally invasive surgeries are the preferred choice for cosmetic surgery providers.
Non-surgical (or non-invasive) procedures have been very popular lately due to its safe and reliable nature.
Here are some of the advantages of non-invasive surgeries:
- No incisions or cuts are needed. The most attractive point of non-invasive procedures is that they don’t require patients to brace themselves for surgery. This is not only safe but also provides a more convenient approach to remove fat from the body.
- No scarring or bruising. Since there are not cuts involved in the process, patients don’t have to worry about scars on their body. This is great for people who are self-conscious or worried that scars might affect their self-appearance.
- Body fat is removed naturally. Unlike other fat removal procedures where it is manually removed from the body, fat cells will be removed naturally by your body’s immune system in non-invasive procedures.
- Zero downtime and recovery periods. After the procedure is done, you will be able to go on with your daily life immediately. Hence, this option is viable for busy individuals who are not able to take time off their schedule.
You can read up more about non-surgical fat removal procedures over at our information page.
The average costs for fat removal procedures
Estimating an average cost for cosmetic procedures is difficult due to a variety of reasons. Treat the costs quoted in this section as a ballpark figure.
The best and most accurate way to find the total cost for your procedure is to contact your doctor directly.
The average cost for liposuction would usually be in the range of approximately $3,500 to $6,800 AUD ($2,500 to $5,000 in USD) for each treatment area.
The costs will differ depending on:
- The area to be treated
- The type of fat removal procedure that you chose
- The package that you chose (some doctors offer a variety of payment structures)
- The location of your doctor (cosmetic surgery experts in different countries have different rates)
For non-invasive options, on the other hand, they are usually billed on a per-visit basis.
A rough estimate would be in between $600 to $850 AUD ($450-$650 USD) although the rate varies from doctor to doctor.
When making a decision, it is vital to note that in the cosmetic surgery industry, you generally get what you pay for.
Fat removal procedures may seem costly but you are paying for the expertise and experience of highly trained experts.
If budget is an issue, make sure that you research your preferred doctors extensively on their background and client history before making the final call.
The average time taken for recovery as well as results
For minimally invasive procedures, you should expect some minimal discomfort of 2 to 5 days after the procedure.
After that, patients can return to work or resume their daily routine without any major issues or complications.
It takes about 6 weeks for results to show in most cases. It can take up to 6 months for some individuals, but that is in very rare cases.
If you decide to go with non-surgical procedures, you will experience a very mild discomfort for a few hours.
Unlike other fat removal options, you will be able to go back to your daily activities on the same day – a wonderful advantage for busy individuals.
Results will start to show in 3 weeks. After 3 months, you will see the final results of your treatment.
Fat removal surgery options
For this section, we are going to focus solely on minimally invasive surgeries and non-surgical procedures.
VASER liposuction (minimally invasive fat removal option)
VASER liposuction is one of the most gentle fat removal procedures in the cosmetic surgery industry.
This technology is favoured by many experienced doctors due to two factors; it is extremely safe and very efficient in removing fat from the body.
In comparison to other traditional liposuction techniques, VASER liposuction utilises ultrasound technology to remove fat.
Hence, fat cells are removed more effectively while vital tissues such as the nerve and connective tissues are not significantly damaged.
The fast recovery times as well as being able to treat all areas of the body effectively makes VASER lipo one of the top choices for doctors worldwide.
CoolSculpting (non-surgical fat removal procedure)
If you would like to lose fat without surgery, CoolSculpting is an option for you.
Developed by a team of Harvard University researchers, CoolSculpting removes fat from the body by lowering the temperature of the fat cells.
The fat then turns from liquid to solid as a result of the drop in temperature. This process destroys the fat cells which are then removed naturally by your body over a few weeks.
This technique is excellent in removing pockets of fat from your body especially in stubborn areas like your tummy or arms.
CoolSculpting allows you to continue with your daily routine immediately after the treatment is done.
Scarring and contracting infections are also things that you don’t need to worry about after the procedure.
Over here at Cosmos Clinic, we take our blog posts very seriously so that our readers can gather valuable information about the highlighted topic.
Check out our blog for more posts like this or have a look at Cosmos Clinic’s info page to learn more about other fat removal procedures.