Are you having a hard time deciding between the ever increasing number of surgical and non-surgical fat reduction options available?
For most people, the following major factors are considered when decided between the different fat removal procedures available:
- How expensive is the surgery?
- How painful is the surgery?
- Are there any long-term side-effects?
- Is the surgery risky and dangerous?
- Are the results worth my time and money?
- Can I trust my doctor?
These are just some of the questions that patients usually ask before booking a consultation and committing to a procedure.
In the article below we’re going to discuss the following key points to help you determine the best fat removal procedure for you:
- Invasive, minimally invasive, and non-surgical procedures
- The average costs of fat removal procedures
- The average time needed for recovery as well as results
- Fat removal surgery options
Invasive, minimally invasive, and non-surgical procedures
Surgery options are usually divided into three classes or types:
- Invasive procedures
- Minimally-invasive surgery
Invasive plastic surgery usually means that a procedure involves general anaesthesia, making large cuts and incisions in the area to be treated. Some examples include breast reduction, tummy tuck or abdominoplasty.
These are some disadvantages of invasive surgeries:
- Very painful and stressful for patients. Large cuts and incisions can be very hard on the human body; they can also lead to situations where patients are subjected to a painful and lengthy recovery time.
- Require a lengthy recovery. Large incisions have considerably longer recovery periods in comparison to less invasive procedures. This can affect your daily routine and emotional state due to the long periods of recovery.
- Higher risk of infections. Large surgical cuts carry a higher risk of complications, particularly the possibility of developing an infection of treated area.
Since invasive procedures come with greater risks, it’s no coincidence that there is an increase in availability of minimally-invasive and non-surgical options for those seeking fat reduction treatments and other types of cosmetic surgery.
Unlike invasive surgery, minimally-invasive procedures often involve making smaller incisions or none at all. The cuts can be so fine that they’re hardly noticeable. Additionally, minimally-invasive procedures have several advantages which make them the preferred choice for doctors today.
Here are a few of them:
- Minimal discomfort and pain. The biggest advantage of minimally-invasive surgery is that patients feel virtually no pain during the procedure. Only local anaesthesia is applied to the treated area rather than being subjected to general anaesthesia.
- Fast recovery times. Patients can resume their normal activities and return to life much faster than with invasive surgery.
- Minimal scarring and bruising. Minimally-invasive procedures are gentler and less traumatic to the surrounding tissue. There is much less swelling, scarring and bruising.
- Low risk of infections. As the incisions are small, the problem areas can be addressed with much less risk to patients for developing an infection as compared to invasive surgery.
With medical procedures becoming increasingly modernised in Australia thanks to advances in the cosmetic surgery industry, patients are choosing minimally-invasive options more and more often over invasive liposuction procedures.
Non-surgical (or non-invasive) procedures have been very popular lately for body contouring and removing excess fat.
Here are some of the advantages of non-invasive surgery:
- No incisions or cuts are needed. The biggest advantage of non-invasive procedures is that stubborn fat deposits can be removed without cutting and with minimal downtime. This is not only safer but also provides a more convenient approach to body contouring.
- No scarring or bruising. Since there are no cuts involved in the process, fatty tissue can be removed without the risk of scarring or infection.
- Body fat is removed naturally. Unlike surgical fat removal procedures where fat cells are suctioned away from the body, fat removal is achieved by your body’s immune system through non-invasive fat reduction.
- Zero downtime and recovery period. After the unwanted fat is removed, you will be able to resume your daily life immediately. This option is ideal for busy individuals who are not able to take time off work or family life.
To learn if you’re a good candidate and read more about non-surgical fat removal procedures visit our information page.
The average costs for fat removal procedures
Estimating the average cost for cosmetic procedures is difficult due to a variety of reasons. Treat the costs quoted in this section as a ballpark figure.
The best and most accurate way to find the total cost for your procedure is to contact your doctor directly.
The average cost for liposuction is usually in the range of $3,500 to $6,800 AUD ($2,500 to $5,000 in USD) for each treatment area.
The costs will differ depending on:
- The specific area to be treated
- The type of surgical fat removal procedure that you chose
- The package that you chose (some doctors offer a variety of payment structures)
- The location of your doctor (cosmetic surgery experts in different countries have different rates)
For non-invasive options, on the other hand, they are usually billed on a per-visit basis.
A rough estimate would be in between $600 to $850 AUD ($450-$650 USD) although the rate varies from doctor to doctor.
Surgical fat removal procedures may seem costly but you are paying for the experience of highly trained experts.
If budget is an issue, make sure that you research your preferred doctors extensively on their background and client history before making the final call.
The average time needed for recovery and results
With most minimally-invasive procedures, you should expect some minimal discomfort of 2 to 5 days after the procedure.
After that, patients can return to work or resume their daily routine without any major issues or complications.
It takes about six weeks for results to show in most cases. It can take up to six months for some individuals, but that is in very rare cases.
If you decide to go with a non-surgical procedure, you may experience very mild discomfort for a few hours.
Unlike other surgical fat removal options, you will be able to go back to your daily activities on the same day – a wonderful advantage for busy individuals.
Results will start to show in three weeks. After three months, you will see the final results of your treatment.
Surgical fat removal options
In this section we are going to focus on minimally-invasive and non-surgical procedures.
VASER liposuction (minimally-invasive fat removal)
VASER liposuction is one of the most gentle fat removal procedures in the cosmetic surgery industry.
This technology is favoured by many experienced doctors due to two factors; it is extremely safe and efficient at removing unwanted fat from the body.
In comparison to other traditional liposuction techniques, VASER liposuction utilises ultrasound technology to remove fat.
Fat cells are removed from areas such as stomach, love handles and upper arms more effectively while surrounding tissues such as the nerves and blood vessels are not damaged.
VASER liposuction has proven benefits for loose skin as well as research show it has mild to moderate skin-tightening effects.
The fast recovery times as well as being able to treat all areas of the body effectively makes VASER liposuction one of the top choices for doctors worldwide.
CoolSculpting (non-surgical fat removal procedure)
If you would like to lose stubborn areas of fat without surgery, CoolSculpting is an option for you.
Developed by a team of Harvard University researchers, CoolSculpting removes fat from the body through a process called cryolipolysis or lowering the temperature of the fat cells.
CoolSculpring freezes fat cells, a process causes them to die be removed naturally by your body over 12-16 weeks.
This technique is excellent for removing pockets of fat that don’t respond to diet or exercise.
CoolSculpting allows you to continue with your daily routine immediately after the treatment.
Scarring and infection risk are virtually non-existent although patients can experience some minor bruising and numbness in the tretment area.
At Cosmos Clinic we take our blog posts very seriously so that our readers can gather valuable information about the highlighted topic.
Check out our blog for more posts like this or have a look at Cosmos Clinic’s info page to learn more about other fat removal procedures.