Breast augmentation is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries ever since the turn of the decade.
However, choosing the right size for breast implants is a common question among patients.
In this post, we are going to guide you on choosing the correct breast implant size and shape for your body.
Are breast implants the right choice for you?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, breast implants serve a lot of purposes.
Cosmetics-wise, there are several reasons for getting breast implants:
- They can increase the fullness and size of your breasts if you are unhappy with your current size.
- They can restore the volume of your breasts after weight loss or pregnancy.
- They can balance the size of your breasts and improve symmetry in cases where the breasts differ in size or shape.
Apart from enhancing your self-esteem and body contour, breast augmentations are also performed in reconstructive surgery.
- Breast implants are done in mastectomy cases (removal or partial removal of the breasts) to restore patients’ breasts.
- They are also performed in cases where a patient’s breasts may be deformed due to injuries or trauma.
- Breast implants can also correct breasts that are deformed due to natural defects and abnormalities.
If you have sagging or droopy breasts, implants alone do not fix that; you’ll have to undergo a breast augmentation along with a breast lift to correct sagging breasts.
How to choose the correct size for your breast implant
Unlike traditional bra measurements, breast implant sizes are measured in cubic centimetres (cc).
The range of the sizes is between 100-1000 cc with the average implant size being 300-400 cc.
For your reference, 1 cc is equal to approximately 1 ml or 0.3 oz.
Knowing the correct implant size for your body is very, very important.
You have to understand that due to variations in body shapes and structures, you may or may not be able to achieve the size that you want for medical reasons.
Hence, it is best to consult with your doctor to set out realistic goals and expectations for your breast augmentation.
Factors to determine your breast implant size
- Your body frame and structure: If you have a petite body, large breast sizes are not suitable for you and vice versa.Large breasts on women with smaller frames are going to cause health issues; primarily back pain.Similarly, having breasts that are too large will cause your body to look out of proportion which may affect your self-confidence.
- Your aesthetic goals: Your size will differ based on how you want to look like. If you have small breasts and want it to be noticeably bigger, you would want to opt for a larger size whereas if correcting symmetry is your goal then a smaller size (150cc) is all that’s needed.
- Your personality and public perception: An under-discussed factor of breast implants is that you have to consider how you will be viewed or perceived after the operation. Your friends and family may have mixed reactions to your surgery while you might attract more attention in public which can be uneasy if you are not used to it.
It is best to consult your doctor and your trusted ones before making your choice.
Type of breast implants
After you’ve decided on the right size, you should know that there are different types of breast implants.
Breast implants are usually classed into two types: silicone gel-based and saline-based.
Many surgeons prefer silicone gel implants due to several reasons:
- Silicone gel implants are less prone to rippling (wave-like patterns on your breasts)
- Silicone gel implants will stay in shape even if it leaks which is not the case with saline implants
- Silicone gel implants feel more natural
As always, it is best to consult with your doctor to select the best implant type for your needs.
You can head over to our information page on breast augmentation which contains plenty of valuable information on the shapes and types of breast implants.
Tips for choosing the right size for your breast implants
- Your doctor is your best friend. Don’t worry about coming off as annoying when asking questions; it is better to know too much than too little especially in the cosmetic surgery industry.
- Just like haircuts, showing your doctor how you want to look like is a better choice than describing it verbally. Your doctor is not a mind reader so if you want your doctor to understand your expectations better, a photo or video does the job well.
- Cup sizes are not a great way to describe your desired size. Cup sizes vary between manufacturers so going with the industry standard of cubic centimetres is the best choice.
- Breast implant samples or sizers are available at most cosmetic surgery clinics. These samples will help you to determine your preferred choice without the need for fussy measurements and guessworks.
- You can bring friends or family members along to help you decide your implant size. Validation from people that you trust is going to help you choose breast sizes that are going to look better in the long run.At the end of the day though, choosing a size that you are personally happy with is the best option.
- Read up on reviews or cosmetic surgery forums to understand the perspectives of patients who have actually undergone breast augmentations. You may come across valuable nuggets of information that are unique from a patient’s experience.
- Consider the future when choosing your breast implant size. What is attractive to you now may not be as desirable in the future.At the same time, breast implants last a long time but they do not last forever. So, you’ll have to keep in mind about the potential effects of your breast augmentation in 20 or 30 years ahead.
An alternative to breast implants – Breast fat transfer
If you are looking for options other than breast implants, a fat transfer procedure is something that you would want to look into.
The procedure uses your own body fat from areas such as the thighs and hips to enlarge your breasts. The advantages of this procedure include:
- Little to no scarring
- Faster recovery periods
- A more natural looking breast
For more information on breast fat transfers, head over to our resource page which contains valuable info for you to make a choice.
Our information page contains a ton of valuable knowledge and information on breast implants and cosmetic surgeries in general.