Melasma: A New Treatment with Tranexamic Acid
Some quick facts about Melasma
- Patchy pigmentation of the skin associated with sun exposure and hormonal changes.
- We treat Melasma with tiny injections of Tranexamic Acid into the skin.
- This is a new and safe procedure.
- A course of 4 treatments is recommended to achieve full results.
- Cost is $250 per treatment.
What is Melasma?
Melasma is patchy pigmentation that occurs on the face usually in a symmetrical fashion; most commonly on the forehead, cheeks and upper lip. In this condition the pigment cells on the basal layer (of your skin) “go crazy”.
The exact cause is unknown but the condition is associated with sun exposure and pregnancy (i.e. hormonal changes).
Melasma is very difficult to treat. Often the skin care treatments options are either temporary or make the condition worse. For example, Hydroquinone and Microdermabrasion only remove the top layer of pigment cells, rather than the ”crazy cells”; when you stop these treatments, the problem comes back.
How can you treat Melasma?
Laser Treatments are at a high risk of making the Melasma worse, particularly if too much heat is delivered. In some cases Laser Treatments can help but the effect is mild. Fraxel Laser only treats a fraction of the problem.
A new and very safe treatment is with Tran-examic Acid.
The exact mechanism of action is unknown but it can cause complete removal of the Melasma. The treatment involves a few tiny injections into the dermal layer (of your skin) half a centimeter apart.
Who is prone to pigmentation?
Unfortunately, you can’t tell in advance if you will get Melasma, although according to the American Academy of Dermatology, if someone in your family had it, you have a 30 percent chance of getting it. In general, melasma occurs in 50 to 70 percent of pregnant women and 5 to 34 percent of women taking birth control pills. The condition usually strikes women between the ages of 20 and 39. Melasma is more common in dark-skinned persons, and is worsened if the skin is exposed to the sun.
Solar lentigo is a skin condition caused by chronic exposure to the sun.
Although post inflammatory hyper pigmentation can occur in all skin types, it is more common in people of darker skin types and Asians.
How much does a Melasma Treatment with Tranexamic Acid Cost?
The cost is $250 per treatment. Patients usually require 4 treatments every 2 weeks to achieve the full effect.