Dermal Fillers Sydney, Canberra & Adelaide
Frequently Asked Questions About Cosmos Clinic Dermal Fillers
1. What Are Dermal Fillers?
At Cosmos Clinic our Dermal Fillers are made of a naturally occurring substance that is injected into the second layer of skin(dermis) to provide a smooth, long-lasting correction of facial wrinkles and folds.
There are four formulations of Dermal Filler:
- Our firt Dermal Filler Injectable Gel is the least viscous of the products and is used for very fine lines and wrinkles such as smokers lines around the mouth.
- Our thickness +1 Dermal Filler Injectable Gel is used in contouring and volumising facial wrinkles and folds. It can also be used to create definition and pouting of the lips.
- Our thickness +2 Dermal Filler Injectable Gel is more highly cross-linked, resulting in a more robust formulation used for volumising and correcting deeper folds and wrinkles. It can also be used to increase the volume of the lips.
- Our thickest Dermal Filler Injectable Gel is the thickest and most viscous of the four products, and is used for large areas for volume replacement and can be used in the cheek area.
2. What does “cross-linked” mean?
Cross-linking refers to a chemical process in which individual chains are chemically bound or “cross-linked” together, transforming liquid into a soft solid or “gel”. The firmness of the gel depends on the degree of “cross-linking”. The body absorbs cross-linked gel more slowly, which results in a longer duration of effect.
4. What do dermal fillers do?
As the body ages, skin loses elasticity and volume. Dermal fillers are placed below the skin’s surface to diminish the depth of facial folds and wrinkles.
5. Where can Dermal Filers be used?
Dermal Fillers can be used in any part of the face where there are lines caused by saggy skin or where there is a loss of volume. Facial contouring with Dermal Fillers can be used in the following areas:
- Nasolabial folds- the lines between the nose and the corner of the mouth
- Lip augmentation – both the lip border and the body of the lips
- Cheek contour augmentation
- Glabella- the frown lines between the eyebrows
- Lipstick/Smoker’s lines- lines above the top lip
- Hollows under the eyes
- Crow’s feet or smile lines
- Marionette lines- the lines between the corner of the mouth and the chin
- Depressed corners of the mouth
- Chin augmentation
- Acne & Chickenpox scars.
6. What does the injection process involve?
Ice is generally left on the treatment area to help numb the area and/or an anaesthetic cream is used. A local anaesthetic is also incorporated in the product allowing for a more comfortable procedure as you continue with the treatment. Dermal Filler is then injected into the dermis (the second layer of skin) in tiny amounts with a very fine needle. The result is instantaneous, producing a long-lasting, natural enhancement, which is gentle and safe to the skin. The procedure takes twenty to thirty minutes.
7. How soon will I see results?
The results can be seen immediately. Dermal Filers provides instant and long-lasting wrinkle correction.
8. What will I look like after treatment?
Immediately after the treatment, you can expect slight redness, swelling, tenderness or an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. The swelling and discomfort in facial lines and hollows is mild and generally disappears within twenty four hours.
There is no downtime with treatment of the facial line and hollows. After a lip treatment, the lips become swollen and may look uneven. This can persist for up to a week.
If a dental block is performed you will feel numb for two to three hours after the treatment and you may require the next day off work if the lips become too swollen.
9. How are the Dermal Fillers we use different to other dermal fillers?
The Dermal Filler Injectable Gel is produced with latest and most advanced VYCROSS technology to create a long lasting smooth gel.
10. How long does a Dermal Filler treatment last?
In research studies, Our lowest thickness Injectable Gel can last for three to four months, Thickness +1 filler at least six months, Thickness + 2 filler will last around nine months and our thickest filler will last around eighteen to twenty four months.
11. Are there any adverse effects after treatment with Dermal Fillers?
During clinical trials, no patients discontinued the study due to lack of effect or any adverse side effects.
Recorded adverse events were usually temporary injection site reactions, the majority of which lasted only three days or less. Patients sometimes experience injection site redness, pain, firmness/hardness, swelling, lumps/bumps, bruising, itching and discolouration. Lumps are rare and can be dissolved by your treating doctor if they persist.
12. What precautions should a patient take after treatment with Dermal Fillers?
If you have had a lip enhancement with Dermal Fillers, avoid smoking, kissing and makeup for the first twenty four hours after treatment. Until the initial swelling and redness has resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. sauna or sunbathing) or extreme cold.
13. What is my next step?