Breast Augmentation | Sydney & Canberra
Considering a Breast Augmentation? Talk to the team at Cosmos Clinic for a caring and understanding approach…
Quick Facts about Breast Augmentations
- Teardrop or Round shape implants available.
- You can choose any size implant you desire.
- Go home on the same day as your procedure.
- Usually back at work after 3-7 days, required to wear a garment for 6 weeks.
- Procedure performed by Specialist Breast Plastic Surgeon Dr. Ellis Choy.
- Costs start from $7,990.
What are the reasons for getting a Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation is a surgical procedure designed to enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breast. Patients may choose to undergo Breast Augmentation to:
- Enhance the body contour for women who feel their breast size may be too small
- Restore breast volume due to weight loss or following pregnancy
- Achieve better symmetry when breasts are moderately disproportionate in size and / or shape
- Improve the shape of breasts that are sagging or have lost firmness, often used with a breast lift procedure
- Provide a breast contour when a breast has been removed or disfigured to treat breast cancer
- Improve breast appearance where a breast has been disfigured due to trauma or an abnormality
What types of Breast Implants are available?
The two main types of breast implants both have a silicone shell but can be filled with either silicone gel, or saline (salt water). Most surgeons in Australia prefer to use silicone gel implants, for the following reasons.
- Saline implants have a greater risk of rippling than silicone gel implants.
- If you’re implant was to leak or rupture, the saline fluid would be absorbed by your body, which would cause the implant to collapse and deflate. If a silicone gel implant was to rupture, the gel would stay together.
- Silicone gel implants feel more natural than saline implants
What shape Breast Implants are available?
Tear Drop ‘Anatomical’ shaped or Round shaped breast implants are the two main shapes of breast implants.
At Cosmos Clinic, we believe that the shape of your breasts after breast implants will be determined by the natural shape of your existing breasts and the size and placement of the implants; NOT by the shape of the implant.
We do prefer the use of round implants for the following reasons:
- Round breast implants feel softer than tear drop implants.
- If a round breast implant were to rotate, the shape of your breast will not change. However if a tear drop implant rotates or migrates over time, your breasts may become asymmetrical.
- Round implants tend to take on a natural shape when implanted, as they form a tear drop shape when a woman is standing.
That being said, you can discuss your options with Dr. Choy, to choose which shape you would like.
How long do Breast Implants last for?
There is no definitive answer on how long breast implants last, basically they last until there is a problem, with most follow up surgeries carried out to correct movement of implants or replace implants due to changing breast shape (sagging with age).
On average, tear drop implants tend to last approximately 15 years, with round implants lasting approximately ten years. Keep in mind you will need follow up surgeries eventually.
Is a Breast Augmentation procedure painful?
Most of our patients describe the post surgery feeling as pressure rather than pain, similar to having done a heavy chest workout at the gym. The duration of this discomfort will depend on the size of implant and may also vary among patients, younger women with tighter chest skin may feel discomfort for longer than older women with looser chest skin. Some discomfort is expected after surgery, and patients usually take painkillers for 3-4 days post surgery.
How long does the Breast Augmentation procedure take?
Your breast implant procedure takes approximately 1.5 hours. In most cases you can go home on the same day, after about 2 hours of recovery time.
How long is the recovery process?
Most of our breast augmentation patients are back at work after 3-7 days, this may vary from patient to patient, and will take longer if you are a smoker.
You will have to wear a garment for 6 weeks, this can be easily hidden under clothing.
Will Medicare or private health insurance cover the costs of a Breast Augmentation?
You will not be able to claim any costs from Medicare. You may be able to claim some costs of the surgery from private health cover.
Can I breastfeed after a Breast Augmentation?
There is no medical evidence that breast implants will have any effect on breastfeeding. If you are planning on becoming pregnant or breastfeeding post surgery, please discuss this during your consultation.
What are the possible complications of a Breast Augmentation?
Breast implants may wear out over time and need to be replaced. Deflation may occur when saline leaks out of the silicone implant shell, this does not happen with silicone implants, as the gel is usually retained within the implant pocket. Rarely, some women may develop an infection. This can occur several days to several weeks after the procedure, and can be treated with antibiotics.
Breast Augmentation Costs & Prices
Breast Augmentation costs and prices vary widely depending on your overall situation and expectations and your initial consultation with Dr. Ellis Choy is $250. Breast augmentations start from $7,990 with no hidden fees, including theatre and anaesthetic costs.
Breast Augmentation Locations
Dr. Choy operates out of Sydney, Canberra & Coffs Harbour, please contact Cosmos Clinic for more details.