Skin Tightening – Loose Skin Treatments
Cosmos Clinic Sydney, Canberra and Adelaide offer a variety of Skin Tightening Treatment options.
What causes sagging skin?
Pregnancy is a major cause of loose skin where the skin has been stretched beyond its normal elasticity. Up until now the only means of improving the saggy loose skin left behind from pregnancy (known as the “Mummy Tummy”) has been with a surgical procedure known as a Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty which involves the removal of excess skin and a hip to hip scar.
Ageing, extreme weight loss, genetics and long-term exposure to UV rays are also major factors in causing loss of elasticity in skin. These factors can cause major damage to collagen fibres and reduce the number of fibroblasts (the cells that produce collagen fibres). As a result, skin starts to sag. Unfortunately age and genetics are factors which we cannot control.
Can diet and exercise help with sagging skin?
Keeping hydrated by drinking lots of water as well as a balanced diet with minimal sugars is terrific for skin quality in general. Increasing muscle can help to build a tight layer under the skin, reducing a sagging appearance. However for any real change in sagging skin, technological intervention is required.
Treatment options to tighten skin
Procedures to tighten the skin can be separated into two options:
- Surgical: These treatment methods involve minimally invasive options such as Laser Skin Tightening, Bodytite, and iGuide for the neck area. A slightly more invasive procedure would be the option of a Tummy Tuck.
- Non-Surgical: Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Surgical Options – minimally invasive – for dramatic results
The proliferation of lasers and new technology in the cosmetic industry have brought about new methods of treatment that are minimally invasive, effective and provide dramatic results. The following treatments are available at Cosmos Clinic:
- Laser Skin Tightening: Can be used for Mummy Tummy Magic, Neck/ Swan Lift and the Laser Face Lift. The treatment involves the use of an ultra thin fibre that is placed just below the surface of the skin. The laser energy heats up the all important “collagen fibres” causing them to instantaneously contract resulting in a tightening effect on the skin. Improvements continue for three months after the treatment. The laser also helps to melt fat cells which are then removed via the bodies natural eliminating processes. Laser Skin Tightening can be combined with Liquid or Vaser Liposuction for body contouring for a more dramatic change if fat still exists in the area of treatment.
Cosmos Clinic patient after “Mummy Tummy Magic”
- Bodytite: Bodytite uses radiofrequency to heat the soft tissue that stimulates collagen formation and thus helps in skin tightening. Bodytite also melts fat cells which are then extracted through a cannula. Research has shown that 40% of soft tissue contraction can occur.
- iGuide Neck Lift: This walk in-walk out procedure is ideal for treating loose skin in the chin and neck. Done under light sedation, a unique pattern is sutured into the neck area through tiny discreet punctures and then tightened. The iGuide treatment is so gentle that most patients return to work within 2-3 days.
These procedures are minimally invasive and performed as a day procedure. Twilight sedation is used, tiny incision points are made in the treatment area, and the patient is able to walk after the procedure. There is minimal risk of burning, as the temperature of the skin is continuously monitored. Recovery time is also minimal as there is less pain, swelling and bruising. These procedures are also effective as a treatment for cellulite and can be used in combination with Platelet Rich Plasma.
What areas can be treated with Laser Skin Tightening or Bodytite?
Just about any area that needs skin tightening can be suitable for Laser Skin Tightening or Bodytite. We find that Laser Skin Tightening is extremely effective for sagging necks and fat around the chin and face, for mum’s who want to get their pre-baby tummy back and also for under the arms (Bat Wings).
Non-Surgical Options – for subtle results
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP): PRP is a simple, safe procedure where blood is taken, (just like any other blood test), and then spun in a centrifuge machine for 10 minutes. This allows the blood to separate and the platelet rich part is extracted. This platelet rich plasma is then reinjected into the areas to be treated with a fine needle. The Plasma is rich in platelets, stem cells and growth factors, and this is what stimulates your skin to produce more collagen. The stimulation of collagen helps to improve the skin texture while at the same time tighten the skin. Generally 3 treatments are needed one month apart for optimal results.
How do I know which approach is best for me?
It is important to determine what type of results you want and to have realistic expectations. Non-invasive options of any kind are for subtle changes. If you are looking for drastic changes, invasive options will provide results more in line with your expectations.
I have extreme amounts of skin. Will any of these treatments be effective?
It is important to have a doctor to assess your areas and the amount of skin. It may be that a surgical approach be a better option for you. These include an Arm Lift, Thigh Lift, and Tummy Tuck. These procedures are performed under twilight sedation. As with any surgical procedure, incision lines are required and will be noticeable. There are however, effective topical gels and cremes on the market than can help the appearance and healing of scars. The benefits of removing excess skin however generally outweigh this downside to surgical lifts.
What are the costs of skin tightening treatments?
Initial consultation at our cosmetic clinics in Sydney, Canberra or Adelaide is $120. This is redeemable should you go through with any treatment or procedure at our clinic. Prices for non-invasive skin tightening start from $400 per session. Prices for invasive options start from $3,300.